Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Staph, the Tely and Me

Well, as I like to believe, all things happen for a reason.  And through this reasoning there must then be a reason, why I have in this lovely season acquired an infection in my trusty left leg.  I am about two weeks away from swearing in as a Peace Corps Volunteer and should be partying down in Morogoro where the river babbles past the front door steps, the fruit bats chatter all day until dusk and the sugar cane is soaked in booze-filled ziploc baggies.  However, this past Tuesday night I awoke from the throbbing swollen pain of what I had tried to pretend was just a spider bite.  Upon reaching the hospital in Dar, it was confirmed that I had cellulitis which is kind of exciting just because I can't say I've ever had some crazy huge painful infection stemming initially from a mosquito bite which I scratched.  I got to spend three nights in the hospital while they fed me antibiotics intravenously and gourmet meals orally.  I watched lots and lots of t.v. while my trusty left leg lay elevated above me.  On Friday morn the Doc told me I needed to go, to the expat's house where I would stay until we would meet again this next Tuesday.  So here I am, in an air conditioned home with electricity, running water, home entertainment center, internet, refrigerator and a ping pong table.  How I long for a cool bucket bath, some coconut beans and rice cooked over a charcoal jiko and a good game of dice played by kerosene light.

But I did get the chance to start this lovely blog, which may not have happened if I hadn't of gotten this blessed infection.  And so I believe it was all meant to be; the Staph, the Tely and Me 

No comments:

Post a Comment